Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Never again will I be without it!

what is "it" you ask??? 

                

 APPLE BUTTER 

Granny Smith and Fiji 4-1 ratio

(homemade of course)

 Total time 9-11 hours - Yields approx 4 pints

I found the recipe on   

so I don't want to steal the credit here... 
as usual though I did some tweaking  
of my own to suit my tastes.
I wanted to blog it myself so that those I know can have the recipe at their finger tips! 
This is an ALL day affair, but you really dont need to be there much since it is made in the slow cooker! (aka crock pot). 



Delicious end result





 Here's what you will need to get started:

  •  5 1/2 lbs apples - cored, peeled & finely chopped
  • white sugar

  • ground cinnamon

  • ground cloves

  • salt

I used 4.5lbs of Grammy Smith green apples and 1lb of Fiji apples
I STRONGLY suggest  starting off using 2 cups of sugar... remember, you can always add more, but you cant take it away. :)



Directions

The finer the chop the faster the cook time


 Place the cored, peeled and chopped apples in a slow cooker.








In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. 
Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
Coat the apples with the sugar mixture well


Cover and cook on high 1 hour.




Your house will smell good ALL DAY!

Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, 
stirring occasionally, until the mixture 
is thickened and dark brown.











Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. 
Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
Mmmmmm almost done


Cool over night and enjoy in the morning!

Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

1 comment:

  1. !!!UPDATE!!!
    I made this again, this time using all Granny Smith Apples (they were on sale) but BLANCHING the apples first (SO MUCH EASIER TO PEEL)then sliced and chopped, but didnt bother to chop as small as I did in the pictures above.
    ALSO, I only used 1/2 cup of sugar (thats right, only half a cup for the WHOLE BATCH!) I cooked the first 90 minutes on high bring the necessary cook time down to about 6 hours total (thats half the time of before) tastes and looks just the same!
    Now, we can enjoy sooner and faster!

    ReplyDelete