Friday, September 14, 2012

My Favorite Cards

I have greeting cards from various occasions that I have kept, I know most of us do... but what do we do with them?? I know over the years when I have moved and done the "clean it out before you pack it" things...sometimes I have gotten rid of them (such a shame). NOW we can display them! I am in the process of creating a "wall effect" but wanted to post the idea and how to so you could get started on yours.

You will need:
  • Balsa Wood
  • Foam Brush
  • Mod Podge (or other adhesive product)
  • Ribbon (for hanging)
  • Scissors
  • Beads (optional)
  • Glue gun (or other glue for ribbon & embellishments)

At any craft store (or even the craft section at Wal-mart) you can buy the light weight cutouts of Balsa Wood, they come in various designs. Balsa is easy to work with, for our project, you can use it as is, you can pre stain it, you can pre paint it too. I have done all three for different looks, different "moods" of the cards I'm working with etc.

Take your card and cut it anyway you like to fit on the balsa wood. I've used some decorative scissors I picked up at a craft store for a nice pretty edge. In my sample here the written message was just as important to me as the memory of the card, So I added it to the back of my piece (also using my Mod Podge)

 




















 





Once you have your balsa wood the way you want it, (e.g. painted, stained) get out your Mod Podge, I've used the Mod Podge Gloss for this project - USUALLY the label peels right off the wood, this time it was tearing, so I just went right over the top of it.Take your foam brush and give a nice coat of Mod Podge to your balsa wood, place your card and smooth out excess adhesive. make certain the edges are down and sealed. let dry (doesn't take too long) then give a nice coat of the Mod Podge to the over the top.


 
   






IF you are interested in adding any type of embellishments, beading, lace etc. now is a good time. I used a glue gun for the beading I like the added security of the glue. Once you have placed any embellishments let everything dry again and go over one last time with a coat of Mod Podge to seal everything up.
 






Once completely dry, heat up the glue gun we are going to add a ribbon for hanging. there are a few ways of making the ribbons pretty, use your imagination. (suede or silk cords work too - just depends on the LOOK you are going for) Decide how long you want your "hanger" to be, cut your ribbon.
 
(Pre tie your bow if using that look)
No bow, just a loop
Using your glue gun, glue your ribbon to the back of the wood. 
Allow to dry and WALA, your ready to hang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment