Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mini Apple Wraps

I was having a bad day, well a bad week really... so I decided to cook, and bake this afternoon... I'd seen something like this come across my Facebook page last week, using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls © - but since I didn't have any of those, I thought I'd just make some pie crust (something I love, and am good at making) and I figured I could do better than wrapping a slice of apple in some cinnamon sugar too... When you read this recipe, it might seem like a LOT of work and a LOT of time, but I assure you it's not... you are doing *this*, while *that* is resting and *that* is cooling etc. so it all kinda over laps - TOTAL time from I started until I ate one, was an hour - a stress free (can't wait for the YUMMY )hour, and that included time for cooling. (ha~ha well, kinda)

Preheat oven to 375°                                            Prep Time 30 minutes
Grease Cookie sheet                                           Cook Time 20 minutes

butter flour salt water 2 apples spices corn starch




PIE CRUST:

1 Stick of butter; cut into cubes & placed in the freezer for 30 minutes
½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons ice water

Throw into your food processor (or mixer) the flour, salt and chilled butter. Mix on low until crumbly; add chilled water 1 Tablespoon at a time. A ball of dough will form. Wrap the dough in saran wrap and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it *set* 



In a medium size bowl, (this is to taste) a couple Tablespoons of flour, ½ cup brown sugar, some ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground allspice, and a teaspoon of corn starch.  - set aside




Peel and core 2 medium sized apples... normally, I would use Green (or Granny) but I just happened to have Gala, so Gala it was, (I am a big proponent of just using whatever is *on hand*) I have a gadget that my mom got me this past Christmas, Thanks Mom! that peels, cores and spiral slices my apples in seconds! ($20 at Target) one of the BEST gadgets ever!  Just slice your apples as you would for a normal apple pie, maybe a bit smaller. 

Now to help speed up the cooking process of the apples, I blanched them (Place in boiling water for about 2 minutes, then directly into the sink, in a colander, with cold water running over them for a couple of minutes) Now, shake all the water from the apples, and put into the bowl with the spices and brown sugar mixture, and gently coat - set aside.




Take out your crust, and roll out - I had to work with this a little bit, and discovered it was best to roll it out as normal, then cut it to *crescent roll shapes* aka long triangles.
After I cut out the shapes, I rolled them once again to ensure they were thin





Add a bit of the apple mixture to the wide end and roll, pinching the ends as you go to seal the juices in. 




















Once all are rolled, brush the tops with the left over *sugar juice*
















Before
 Bake on a well sprayed, foil lined cookie sheet @375 for 20 minutes. Let cool on the sheet so the brushed glaze will harden and *crisp* it's yummy too!

 

After















ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment